According to Lawrence W. Sagle in his book, B&O Power, GM-EMD E-8A #92 was delivered to the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad in 1950 decked out in the beautiful B&O blue, gray and black "Capitol Dome" livery. This 2250-hp passenger road locomotive saw service system wide before becoming Amtrak #210. She ended up in the collection of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum, and was deeded as a gift to us on March 4, 2004.
Due to recent pressing issues with the 2-8-0's, no firm restoration plan is in effect. Some have suggested that we cosmetically restore it to original livery and use it as a static display until time and resources allow for mechanical restoration. For now, effort is directed to cleaning the junk out of the interior and closing all the open windows.
James Mischke, a B&O Historical Society historian, provided the following history of our E-8:
Originally B&O #92 (serial number 10233, built 9/50)
Renumbered 1440(1st) during early 1957
Renumbered 1463 by late 1/69
Sold to Amtrak as #210(1st) on 5/8/72
Transferred to the United States Department of Transportation (Washington DC.) as National Transportation Safety Board - Transportation Safety Institute #210 in 6/75, operated test trains over C&O trackage for Amtrak EMD SDP40F derailment investigation during mid-6/77
Leased to New Jersey Transit (South Amboy, NJ.) for commuter service between 5/75 and 5/81
Sold to Central Oklahoma Railfans (Oklahoma City, Okla.) during mid-1986
Sold to dealer Ed Bowers (Houston, Texas) during 1993
Acquired by the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum (Chattanooga, Tenn.) then traded to the B&O Railroad Museum (Baltimore,Md.) for former CSX F7B #119 in early 1994, delivered on 4/21/96
And finally donated to the WVRM on 03/04/04
Volunteer and financial help are needed. We need to 'get it done' so click here to see how you can help.