__WM Rail Motor Car #6
In early 1946, the Western Maryland purchased 17 assorted highway vehicles to 'handle men and material over highways eliminating delays and expediting work' according to the WM documentation. Included in this group was a five-passenger Cadillac Sedan to be used as an Official Car.
By 1955, the 1946 Cadillac was 'no longer appropriate for official use' and converted to Rail Motor Car #6 in 1956 for a total of $500.00. It was retired in 1968 and sold. #6 was purchased by the museum from the estate of John J. Warfield, Washington, DC, who died suddenly in April 2006.
A second '46 Caddy has been purchased to act as a 'parts department' for #6 and it includes the grill! Work is underway to fully restore #6 and have it running in spring 2007.
Thanks go to Bob Parks and the Western Maryland Railway Historical Society for providing the history on #6.
Restoration work is underway in a garage in Elkins.
Volunteer and financial help are needed. We need to 'get it done' so click here to see how you can help.